Topic: Part 2 — Apathy
Speaker: Scotty Priest, Lead Pastor
Date: April 30, 2023
Satan is a real strategic enemy that is hell bent on destroying the lives of Christ followers. And some of his greatest tactics are traps. Traps are ideas, attitudes, and behaviors that hold us back and have the potential to suck the life out of us. Yet they are so effective because they promise to deliver something we believe we need, but in the end don’t. This week we will take a look at the trap of “apathy”.
John 10:10 — “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
Galatians 5:1 — “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”
- Apathy is defined as the lack of concern and interest…being indifferent. Where do you see the trap of apathy being played out in our culture today?
- Take a look at one of Jesus’ most famous stories he told, the “Great Samaritan” (Luke 10:25-37). As you read the story, where do you see the trap of apathy played out?
- We can personally find ourselves lulled to sleep by the anesthetic of apathy. It could be because we are blessed and cursed with comfort. Or we could feel helpless to make a change because the need is so overwhelming. Do any of these resonate with you? What are some other ways you find yourself battling with the trap of apathy?
- Apathy finds an excuse, but passion finds a way. One of the escape strategies from the trap of apathy is to “do for one what you wish you could do for everyone”. What is one next step you could do, or your small group together, that could help you escape the trap of apathy? (Check out the list of resources below)
If you are looking to serve somewhere, here are some local Journey-vetted organizations doing great work.
- Aging Resources of Douglas County – Elderly Support
- Alternatives Pregnancy Center – Pregnancy Support
- Backpack Society – At-Risk Children
- Box of Balloons – Underprivileged Children Birthday Parties
- Bridge of Hope – Single Mothers
- Colorado Feeding Kids – Food Packing
- Denver Rescue Mission – Homeless
- Food Bank of the Rockies – Food Bank
- Help and Hope Center of Douglas County – At-Risk Families
- His Love Fellowship – Urban Church Partner
- Hope’s Promise – Adoption/Foster/Orphan Care
- Joshua Station – Homelessness Transition
- Judi’s House – Grief Support
- Open Door Ministries – Urban Homeless/Low-Income
- Rocky Mountain Police and Fire Chaplaincy
- Whiz Kids – Mentoring/Tutoring