Message Title // (Sermon on the Mount — Beatitudes Part 2)
Message Date // May 1, 2022 (Scotty Priest)
Matthew 5:4 – Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
1. What is your first response to Matthew 5:4 in the context of the word “blessed” meaning happy, fulfilled and flourishing?
2. When thinking about mourning as awareness and sorrow for my sin, what are some obstacles that you face or have faced in the past that may keep you from mourning and making a change?
List of common obstacles to mourning:
- Love of sin (“I don’t want to give ______ up”)
- I just don’t see it (Blind to my sin)
- Despair (“it’s too late”, “I’ve gone too far”)
- Hiding (“I’m afraid”, We’re only as sick as our secrets)
- It’s not a big deal (calloused heart)
- Later (“I’ve got time”)
This list is not exhaustive, feel free to discuss other obstacles.
3. Read Hebrews 4:12-16 and Psalms 139:23-24. Through habitual Bible reading and prayer, our eyes are opened to God’s truth and love. Is there one new habit you can commit to this week to bring consistency to your reading and/or prayer life?