Topic: Part 3 — Take a Risk or Play it Safe
Speaker: Jamie Heiner, Ministries Pastor
Date: November 27, 2022
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” 32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
- In this passage we see the words “fear, terrified, afraid and doubt.” Peter and the disciples faced all of the same emotions we do throughout life. What is a big risk you have taken recently, or a difficult decision you have had to make that may have brought up this kind of fear and doubt?
- It is possible to experience fear and to also choose Christ and walk by faith. We see Peter do this, and we see how Jesus responds to him. Read through the passage again and look at how Jesus responds to Peter. How has God responded to you in the midst of your doubt throughout your life? What did you learn about yourself and about God?
- Jesus may not be asking you to walk on water, but he is calling all of us to something greater. Our next step is more about growing in our faith and knowing Christ. More so, what is your impossible today that God is asking you to risk with Him?
When considering this keep in mind these three steps.
- Talk to God and pray first – Philippians 4:6-7
- Seek advice and wise counsel – Proverbs 12:15
- Spend time with God in His word – Psalm 119:105