Message Series // Old School – (Part 2)
Message Date // November 28, 2021 (Scotty Priest)
The Old School series is an opportunity to rediscover vintage values. Why do we need to do this? As we’ve progressed in our American culture, we might have felt along the way that there are certain values and standards that are “out-dated” and not applicable anymore to life. But in moving forward, maybe we have left behind some ideas and thoughts that are important and actually anchor us. Values like character, integrity, modesty, honor, purity, and responsibility. As we progress, maybe one of the best things we can do is look back and reclaim important standards God desires us to cling to.
“This is what the Lord says: ‘Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.’” – Jeremiah 6:16
1. The Lord instructs us in Jeremiah to “stand at the crossroads and look.” The vision of going down the path that honors people and the Lord continues to get more and more blurred. Every culture in history stands at the crossroads of ancient paths and looses sight of the Lord’s way because it has become blurred. What are some things we can do to keep the vision clear?
2. We are citizens of our nation and heaven. On this side of heaven and as citizens of our nation, we are called to be salt and light to this very dark world. What are some things that we can do to add salt and light to our culture.
3. We believe that we are all made in God’s image and that everyone matters. There is a way to treat people even when you don’t agree. We are simply called to love God and love people and love is the most motivating factor in the world. What can we do to be the extension of God’s love in this world, even when we do not agree?
4. God is a relational God and we were created in His image. In other words we desire and need relationships and the Lord has created a world that forces us to need and rely on other people. However, nothing has created more isolation than this pandemic. As sons and daughters of the Lord, what are some things that we can do to keep from being alone?
- Read 1 Peter 3:15 and Galatians 6:2.
- Be prepared to share your faith and make a defense for the hope you have, but do it with gentleness and respect.
- Since we are called to live in community, find your people and live life with them.
- Look for ways to carry each others burdens.
- Treat people with truth and grace, love and pray for your enemies and look for ways to bless everybody.