Series: Questions From Jesus – Part 6
Speaker: Scotty Priest, Lead Pastor
Date: November 5, 2023
Read Luke 6:43-49
43 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?
47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.
1. Have you ever been disappointed by getting something different than what you expected?
2. Luke 6:43-45 A tree is recognized by its fruit and the state of the tree is also recognized by the health of its fruit. As followers and believers of Jesus our lives also reflect the health and authenticity of our relationship with Christ. What are some ways to produce healthy attributes of Christ in your life?
3. Luke 6:46 The question from Jesus in this verse is, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” What have you been unwilling to do or surrender that is producing negative results in your life, or some bad fruit?
4. Luke 6:47-49 Putting God’s word into practice also helps build a firm foundation. How does Christ want us to prepare for difficult times and build a firm foundation?
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, to see if you are actually in the faith. Test yourselves.
5. How can you put your faith into action today?