Series: Questions From Jesus – Part 4
Speaker: Scotty Priest, Lead Pastor
Date: October 22, 2023
Read Luke 8:40-48
40 Now when Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed him, for they were all expecting him. 41 Then a man named Jairus, a synagogue leader, came and fell at Jesus’ feet, pleading with him to come to his house 42 because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying. As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him.
43 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years,[a] but no one could heal her. 44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.
45 “Who touched me?” Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.”
46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.”
47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. 48 Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”
1. In these versus we see the desperation of two different people for very different reasons. How did they respond to the desperation in their lives? Why do you think they responded this way?
2. The woman reached out in faith and was instantly healed. She could have gone on her way and Jesus could have just let it go, but He didn’t. What happened in vs 46-48? What did she and the people gain from this interaction?
3. When we are desperate we are driven to action. God’s desire is for us to reach for Him, but sometimes we reach for other things as well. Have you been in a place of desperation or are you now? How did you, or how are you responding?
4. In your group, or on your own this week take time to answer these questions for yourself if you are in a place of desperation.
- Are you desperate enough?
- Are you willing to grab hold of God?
- Will you come out of hiding?
- Will you express your need?
If you need support or prayer please reach out to your group or our staff team. Journey is a place to take your next step, heal and grow and we are honored to be a part of your life.
For further reading and study, finish the story with Jairus in Luke 8:49-56.